Before your Facebook Live is active you will need a way to let your customers know how to comment. In order to do this, you need to show images with text on how to do this. We have a feature called Print Live Helpers which will help you generate the text for the images beforehand in steps 1-3 in this link.
In this video, you can find the steps to create a Facebook live video with graphic overlays using OBS-Studio. If you wish to follow the written instructions please proceed below.
Prefer to install the latest version or version above 24.0 of Open Broadcaster Software (OBS-Studio), as you may get the 'Failed to connect to server' error.
Steps to Create a live Video using Open Broadcaster Software (OBS):
- Visit URL ‘https://obsproject.com/download’ to download OBS-Studio.
- Installation of OBS-Studio software in the machine:
- In the Windows machine
- Click on ’Download Installer’ to install obs-studio installation (.exe) file.
- In the Mac machine
- Click on ’Download Installer’ to install obs-studio installation (.dmg) file.
- In the Ubuntu machine, run these below commands in ubuntu terminal, to open command line hit the keyboard shortcut Ctrl - Alt + T.
- sudo apt-get install FFmpeg.
- sudo add-apt-repository ppa:obsproject/obs-studio.
- sudo apt-get update.
- sudo apt-get install obs-studio.
- Open installed OBS-Studio in your machine.
- Add Video Device in OBS-Studio to capture video, click on the ‘+’ icon, in the ‘Sources’ section [the 2nd section in the bottom].
- Select the ‘Video Capture Device’ option, then a pop-up appears.
- In the 'Create/Select Source' pop-up, add a name for ‘Video Capture Device’ in the ‘create new’ input field.
- Click on the ‘Ok’ button in the 'Create/Select Source' pop-up to add the name of 'Video Capture Device'.
- A properties pop-up appears, there select the device from the ‘device’ dropdown.
- Click on the ‘Ok’ button to add 'Video Capture Device'.
- Add Overlay Image on the video, click on the ‘+’ icon, in the ‘Sources’ section [the 2nd section in the bottom].
- Select the ‘Image’ option to add the name of the overlay image.
- A pop-up appears named 'Create/Select Source', Add a name for ‘Image’ in the ‘create new’ input field.
- Click on the ‘Ok’ button to add the name of the overlay image.
- Click on the ‘Browse’ button to open the file dialog box.
- Select the image file from the dialog box.
- Click on the ‘Ok’ button to add the image as the overlay.
- Resize & adjust the overlay image using the mouse or touchpad of the desired size on the desired position.
- Visit URL ‘https://www.facebook.com/live/create/’ to initiate the Facebook live video.
- Click on the ‘Create Live Stream’ button, to create live video on the Facebook end. You are redirected to the live video page. Here the ‘Go Live’ button is disabled for now. It is being enabled when we start streaming from the OBS end.
- Click on ‘Share to timeline’ dropdown, to select where you have to share the live video.
- Click on ‘Friends’ to change privacy. Then a pop-up appears where you can select the privacy.
- Fillup ‘Live Video Title’ and ‘Live Video Description’.
- Scroll down to ‘Live Video Setup’ and select ‘Use Key Stream’.
- Copy Live API ‘Server URL’ to use it in the OBS-Studio stream tab.
- Go back to OBS-Studio, then click on the ‘Settings’ button, in the ‘Controls’ section [the 5th section in the bottom] to add the Facebook stream URL and stream Key.
- Click on the ‘stream’ button.
- Paste the copied ‘Server URL’ in the server field in the stream tab.
- Then Go back to the Facebook live video page where you had copied the 'Stream URL' and copy Live API ‘Stream Key’.
- Then Go back to the OBS-Studio, paste ‘Server URL’ in the stream key field in the stream tab.
- Click on the ‘Ok’ button to add the stream URL and key of Facebook live video.
- In the ‘Controls’ section, click on the ‘Start Streaming’ button to start streaming from OBS end.
- Go to the Facebook live video page and click on the ‘Go Live’ button, which is enabled now.